Friday, June 15, 2007

Nazi Germany

  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Nazi Germany - Robert Smith Thompson

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm really glad that I decided to read this book. I've continually been given the quick and easy guide to World War II. I knew about the bombing of London, the Luftwaffe, Panzers, Blitzkrieg, Normandy, Hitler's betrayal of the German-Russian Non-Aggression act, Anne Frank, and the Holocaust. I knew that the Germans weren't happy with the Treaty of Versailles and that the German's got his hard by the depression. However, I knew little about Prussia and Otto von Bismark, Hitler's childhood, the founding of the Nazi party, how the Nazi's gained control, why Austria and Poland were so important to Hitler, that Catholics were discriminated against as well, who the major players were in Nazi Germany under Hitler's command, the Sudeten, Chamberlain's mistakes, and Charles de Gaulle's role in all of this. This book really did help by going through all the major events that took place in Nazi Germany. There's obviously plenty more to learn and the ability to go much more in depth. I also need to find a book that focuses on England, Italy, Russia, Poland, etc. during the war, rather than simply the Nazi involvement with these countries. Also, the Pacific Theater is only slightly alluded to in this book. However, I think that this was a great place to start.

0 comments: