Wednesday, September 30, 2009

September 09 (26)

Fanged & Fabulous (Immortality Bites, #2) - Michelle Rowan

Lady & the Vamp (Immortality Bites, #3) - Michelle Rowan

Stakes & Stilettos (Immortality Bites, #4) - Michelle Rowan

The Immortality Bites series is light reading, but I really like the main character for some reason. Maybe it's just that she seems so to be such an average person. The series is really cute and I'll keep reading future books.

Angel with Attitude - Michelle Rowan

I liked it, but for some reason I didn't get into it. I don't know if that's because of my personal schedule or if it was something about the book. Let me know what you thought about it if you've read it. It had a lot of good drama in it. Maybe I was just missing the main character from the Immortality Bites series. Who knows...

Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, #2) - Richelle Mead

Succubus Dreams (Georgina Kincaid, #3) - Richelle Mead

Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid, #4) - Richelle Mead

I loved this series. The first one was my favorite, but I can't wait for the next book. Book 4 had me freaking out a bit. I can't believe some of the stuff that happened! Yeah for Richelle Mead! She's able to keep me entertained. (Unlike Vampire Academy, this is not a young adult series.)

Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand ( Kitty Norville, #5) - Carrie Vaughn

Cute. Ben and Kitty confuse me at times. They aren't uber romantic as a couple. I don't see them together, nor do I really fell it from the books. but I still like the characters so I'll keep reading.

Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2) - Donna Andrews

Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3) - Donna Andrews

Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow, #4) - Donna Andrews

We'll Always Have Parrots (Meg Langslow, #5) - Donna Andrews

Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6) - Donna Andrews

No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow, #7) - Donna Andrews

The Penguin Who Knew Too Much (Meg Langslow, #8) - Donna Andrews

The Meg Langslow series was also light and carefree. I loved Meg and Micheal in the beginning, but her and Micheal's relationship seems like it's been suffering since the reenactment. They seem almost like siblings rather than a couple. He's just along for the ride as an extra character. The books don't have to turn all romantic, but their relationship is definitely lacking. I feel sorry for the guy. The family antics, while meant to be odd, get to be just a little too much. Book four was my favorite, but towards the end of the series the situations just became more and more unrealistic. Not that the previous books weren't bizarre, but I started to roll my eyes a bit more frequently during book 6 and from there onward I just shook my head a lot.

Master of the Night (Mageverse, #2) - Angela Knight

I like the premise, but there's a lot of sex. A lot! I like the whole Aurthurian legends thing so I'd like to keep seeing what happens in the Mageverse, but I'm not sure if I can handle another book with that many "scenes". I'm sure the fact that once I start a series I feel the need to finish them will win out despite my fears, but I think I'll have to space these out if I do keep reading. Plus, it was just plain cheesy.

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3) - Dan Brown

It took me about 120-140 pages to actually get sucked into The Lost Symbol. Maybe it's the fact that I didn't have the Louvre, or the Vatican to engage my mind in the beginning. I felt like the book picks up after they leave the library and everything starts to get more interesting. Despite the fact that I got interested in it, and enjoyed it, I still didn't feel as consumed with the characters as I have in the past. Maybe it's because I kept picturing Nicholas Cage in National Treasure, rather than Langdon in some of the scenes. Also, it almost seemed as if there was no need for them to go exploring in D.C. since the clues where all in one location. I think I like the idea of one clue leading to the next - with said clue being in a different location/on a different object.

What I did like about this book is the same thing I've loved about the other Robert Langdon books, the symbolism and the integration of art and architecture. I got a lot of new information that I can research and then hopefully use in the classroom, along with some really great quotes. Brown has a way of making art and symbolism fun and exciting and that's always something one needs when describing it to high school students. I never included the Washington Monument or the National Cathedral before, but I think I will now. Even if it's just a mini-lesson on the art and arch of D.C.


Goddess of Spring (Goddess Summoning, #2) - P.C. Cast

Goddess of Light (Goddess Summoning, #3) - P.C. Cast

Goddess of the Rose (Goddess Summoning, #4) - P.C. Cast

Goddess of Love (Goddess Summoning, #5) - P.C. Cast

Warrior Rising (Goddess Summoning, #6) - P.C. Cast

I loved them. The first one was odd in the beginning, but I'm glad I kept reading. (The main character in the first book talks to herself and inanimate objects a little too frequently at the beginning.) I loved Hades in the second book. He made me want to go to the underworld to search for my very own Batman ;). I loved Apollo in the 3rd book and Vulcan in book 5. The fact that P.C. Cast made a Wilbur Smith reference in book 4 proves beyond a doubt that she has good taste. I love Wilbur and it made my day.

My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (Dark-Hunter, #7; Sookie Stackhouse, #6.1; Dresden Files, #7.5) - P.N. Elrod

I read threw this as fast as I could because nothing seemed to be interesting at all. It was a waste of my day.

Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) - Melissa Marr

Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2) - Melissa Marr

Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3) - Melissa Marr

I was pleasantly surprised. For some reason I didn't expect much out of these, but I thought Melissa Marr did a wonderful job. The stories were great. I hope they turn these into a movie. I see some great potential.

0 comments: