Monday, August 07, 2006

A Confederacy of Dunces

  • A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

How do I even begin... This is one of those books you'll either love or hate. I don't think there's much middle ground.
Honestly, the best way to describe it is for me to quote a review from the Chicago Sun-Times on the back of the book. Henry Kisor wrote, "A Confederacy of Dunces is an American comic masterpiece. John Kennedy Toole's hero is one Ignatius J. Reilly, 'huge, obese, fractious, fastidious, a latter-day Gargantua, a Don Quixote of the French Quarter. His story burst with wholly original characters, a denizen of New Orleans' lower depths, incredibly true-to life dialogue, and the zaniest series of high and low comic adventures.'"
I found myself wondering how it was all going to come together in the end, but he managed to tie the characters together in a series of odd events. I think it's safe to assume that you'll never read a book quite like this one.

0 comments: