Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Early Medieval Art

  • Early Medieval Art: Carolingian, Ottonian, Romanesque - John Beckwith
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The World of Art series is always ify. Their books have a lot of good information, but the authors frequently get too wordy for the typical person to understand. Even with a background in Art History there are moments when I'll reread something since I had no clue what work they were talking about. As with most art books, pictures should be placed on the same page as the description. This would help tremendously. Also, they should talk about the images in order rather than mentioning image 101 before 98. I never understood why they do that. If the book changed just these two things, I'd suggest it to anyone who has studied these periods in history and art before. However, since the author frequently leaves out deffinitions for basic art historical terms I wouldn't suggest it to someone who hasn't studied art before.

0 comments: