Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Modigliani Scandal

  • The Modigliani Scandal - Ken Follett

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follett had a really good idea that was poorly executed. I finally found a Follett that I'm not thrilled with. The book started out well, but it was underwritten . The characters didn't have time to develop and there were just as many plot twists in this book as in Triple, but in a much shorter period. There are two storylines that merge in the end, but the storyline that focused on the search for the Modigliani was what really excited me, initially... All of a sudden this fairly detailed chase just stopped the climax of the chase is simply hastily summed up without any flare or buildup. This was one of Follett's last books before he hit it big with Eye of the Needle. He's come a long way from The Modigliani Scandal and he openly admits it on his website. He really has learned from his earlier books. I think that if Hollywood ever picked up the book they could make something rather interesting out of it. Like I said, it was based on a good idea...

"'What do you think of it?' Peter said.

'Bad question,' Mitch replied. 'It invites me to pour out a load of bullshit about movement, brushwork, design, and emotion. Better to ask whether I would hang it on my wall.'" - 46

"I think I know what it is like to be God." - Pablo Picasso - 227

0 comments: